Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Teacher Appreciation Day


For anyone reading this who doesn't know, I am a toddler teacher. I know that because I don't have a degree or work in a "real" school with older kids, some people may think I'm nothing more than a glorified babysitter. But it's much more than that.

My coworkers and I feed the kids. We change diapers. We wipe dirty bottoms, snotty noses, food-covered faces, and on really bad days, poop-covered hands (no, really). We sing songs, read books, and teach them how to count, identify colors and shapes, say their ABCs, and teach them about weather, days of the week, animals, you name it. Some of my kids have memorized entire books and can count to ten in English, Spanish, and French. We do art projects, sensory activities, and have dance parties, and still get them all to sleep at the same time. 

It's not a bad gig, being a toddler teacher. It's by no means easy, and it can be downright exhausting. But look at those little monster hands! So cute. At the very least, it's giving me training for when I'm ready to have my own. 

So please appreciate your teachers! It's harder than it looks.


No comments: